For urgent cases, our attorneys are Available 24 hours a day throughout the Netherlands

For urgent cases 24/7

Know Your Right #1

Recently I was approached by a woman suspected of welfare fraud. This woman had been earning a small amount on top of her benefits every month for three years by cleaning the homes of acquaintances. She had not declared the income.

To the police, Ms. immediately confessed. However, the detective interviewing her threatened to lock her up if she did not declare that she had been working for six years. More and more often in my practice I receive clients who have felt pressured by the police to make a statement. Often these are statements with which they incriminate themselves.

When I then tell them that they were not actually required to make a statement at all, they usually regret that they did. By then, however, it is too late.

Because I believe that every Dutch person should know what their rights are, this column will discuss the rights of suspects on a monthly basis.

The law literally states that a suspect is not required to answer. Everyone, as a suspect, has the right to remain silent. That is not rude, nor should it be used against you.

The interrogator also usually points out (very briefly) that one is not required to answer questions, but then asks questions and, of course, wants answers. After that brief announcement, the pressure will increase to explain anyway.

For this, the same presseim means are usually pulled out such as:

  • If you don't declare right away, the judge will make you disbelieve.
  • If you declare now you may go home.
  • Just tell, because we already know everything anyway.

Under the motto of "we have your best interests at heart, so now clean up your act," you also quite often succeed in getting suspects to talk. Anything you say can be used against you, and what you say will rarely work in your favor. You yourself are often unable to judge that.

Therefore, my advice is
Exercise your right to remain silent until you have had the opportunity to consult an attorney. Declare can always do that.

In the media
with current criminal cases

Start typing to see posts you are looking for.